- Clint Peaty was announced as the new interim coach, replacing Richie Williams
- After meetings with team leadership, the squad refused to train on Tuesday
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
The New England Revolution have appointed a new interim head coach following the resignation of longtime coach Bruce Arena – who was placed on administrative leave by Major League Soccer over allegations of making insensitive and inappropriate remarks.
Clint Peay, who had served as coach of the club’s reserve side since 2019, has been appointed interim head coach. The decision comes after Arena’s longtime assistant, Richie Williams, was originally given that title when Arena was placed on leave last month. Arena resigned on Saturday.
It’s unclear if Williams will have any continued role with the team. However, in a press conference earlier on Tuesday, he said that the club asked him to remain interim head coach until the end of the season.
But during a series of team-wide meetings on Tuesday – first with team president Brian Bilello, then with the full coaching staff – players asked Williams to ‘elaborate on the extent of his involvement in the Arena investigation’, according to The Athletic.
Once Williams said he couldn’t respond to that question, the players did not take it well and decided they would not be training that day.
Clint Peay, the former coach of the New England Revolution reserve team, has been named interim head coach of the first team as the MLS side continues with fallout from a scandal
Bruce Arena, the team’s former head coach and sporting director, has resigned following a scandal where he was accused of making insensitive and inappropriate remarks
Richie Williams, who had served as interim coach since Arena’s suspension, was replaced
An anonymous player told The Athletic, ‘Not many guys trust Richie leading the team right now.’
In a press conference after that meeting, Williams said that his focus was on the team and to remain in his pre-appointed position.
‘It was basically the first time we’ve been back together since the game on Saturday night,’ Williams said.
‘We felt it was best to collectively come together and meet as coaches and players and management, and discuss things that needed to be discussed, and then we move forward.’
It’s not clear what prompted the changes.
In addition to Peay’s elevation, Marcelo Santos, an assistant for the reserve Revolution II team, was promoted to an assistant role on the MLS team.
The Revolution also said that it has parted ways with Revolution assistants Dave van den Bergh and Shalrie Joseph.
The 71-year-old Arena, a member of the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame, did not detail MLS’ allegations against him. The league said Aug. 1 it had placed him on leave.
Revolution team president Brian Bilello initially called a team meeting, but players eventually asked for further meetings with more members of the coaching staff involved
MLS did not detail its findings except to say in a statement that the probe ‘confirmed certain of these allegations.’
The league said if Arena wants to accept a future position within MLS, he must petition the commissioner.
Arena was hired by New England in May 2019 and led the team to 60 wins, 31 losses and 42 draws in MLS play.
A five-time MLS Cup winner and former U.S. national coach, Arena succeeded Brad Friedel as coach and general manager Michael Burns.
The Revolution hosts the Colorado Rapids on Saturday.