Mohamed Salah IS likely to leave Liverpool this week as Saudi club Al-Ittihad prepare a huge offer, claims ex-Premier League star Jan Aage Fjortoft
- Mohamed Salah has been heavily linked with a shock move to Saudi Arabia
- Transfer news LIVE: All the latest updates with two days until deadline day
- Would Mohamed Salah ‘do the dirty’ on Liverpool by leaving? And what about Man United ‘diving’?: Listen to It’s All Kicking Off, Mail Sport’s new podcast
Mohamed Salah is likely to leave Liverpool ahead of this week’s transfer deadline, according to former Premier League midfielder Jan Aage Fjortoft.
As recently reported by Mail Sport, the Reds do not want to sell superstar Salah despite Saudi Pro League club Al-Ittihad registering a strong interest in him.
News of the shock pursuit broke last week but the links were publicly waved away by Jurgen Klopp ahead of his side’s victory at Newcastle last weekend.
However, this has not stopped the reigning Saudi Arabian champions from attempting to lure Salah and make him the highest-paid player in the country.
And in a social media post on Wednesday, Fjortoft, formerly of Middlesbrough and Sheffield United, further stoked the speculation with a bombshell claim.
Mohamed Salah is likely to leave Liverpool this week, Jan Aage Fjortoft has claimed
Salah has been linked with Saudi Arabian side Al-Ittihad, who may break the bank for him
‘I understand it’s likely that Salah will leave Liverpool this week,’ he wrote on Twitter.
Fjortoft then provided further detail in a follow-up tweet, adding: ‘The money offered to player AND club is just unbelievable.
‘The fact that the transfer window in Saudi Arabia closes 7th of September (as stated at Saudi – FA site – other places says even 20th) makes this also more complicated.’
Fjortoft, now a reporter, is viewed as an insider by some due to his links to the Premier League and Erling Haaland. He has proven incorrect in the past, though.
Indeed, he wrongly claimed Kylian Mbappe would leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer, with the forward now set to stay, and also that Jude Bellingham was keen to return to England after leaving Borussia Dortmund. Instead, he joined Real Madrid.
Responding to the latest twist in the Salah saga, one Liverpool supporter highlighted Fjortoft missing the mark with his report on Bellingham, saying: ‘This was an hour before Liverpool formally pulled out of the race for Bellingham. I think we’re okay.’
Nevertheless, it is understood that Al-Ittihad are refusing to give up on their chase of the mercurial frontman and are prepared to break the bank to sign him.
Your browser does not support iframes.
Fjortoft (left) described the huge financial package on offer for Salah as ‘just unbelievable’
Salah (pictured on a recent trip to London) has shown no indication he wants to leave Anfield
They are currently determining the figures ahead of formalising a staggering proposal that they hope will tempt Liverpool into reluctantly selling Salah.
Klopp is vehement that Salah will not leave, particularly as the club have little time to find an adequate replacement with the Premier League window closing on Friday.
‘There is nothing to talk about, we don’t have an offer,’ Klopp said.
‘Mo is a Liverpool player and essential for everything we do. If there was something the answer would be “no”.’
Salah allayed fears over a potential exit after using a day off from training to travel to London, where he visited a museum and posed with ancient Egyptian artefacts.
His contract at Anfield runs until 2025 and there remain no indications he is keen to join the likes of Fabinho, Sadio Mane and Jordan Henderson in Saudi Arabia.
He has made 308 total appearances for Liverpool, scoring 187 goals.
IT’S ALL KICKING OFF!
It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football.
It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify.
Your browser does not support iframes.