Manchester United SCRAP an Instagram post promoting the T20 World Cup after ex-England batter Kevin Pietersen savaged boss Erik ten Hag as a ‘CLOWN’ in the comments over his treatment of exiled star Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United delete Instagram post promoting the cricket T20 World Cup
- The post included a picture of former England batsman Kevin Pietersen
- The retired cricketer bashed the post due to the treatmeant of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Ronaldo has been dropped from the squad by United manager Erik ten Hag
- The decision came after Ronaldo’s actions during the game against Tottenham
Manchester United have deleted an Instagram picture of Kevin Pietersen promoting the T20 World Cup after the retired cricketer hit out at the post.
The former England batsman slammed the new club manager Erik ten Hag for his treatment of Cristiano Ronaldo in reply to the post which showed him in attendance at Old Trafford.
Pietersen was furious with his image being used and commented: ‘Please take my picture down? I don’t want an association with a club that’s managed by a clown who is completely disrespecting the greatest footballer of our time.
Kevin Pietersen complained about the Instagram post image of him used by Man United
The former England cricketer slammed the treament of Cristiano Ronaldo by Erik ten Hag
‘[Cristiano Ronaldo] is the BOSS! That clown who no one will ever remember needs a wake-up!’
The club has agreed to Pietersen’s request, but only after fans had screenshotted the picture.
Ronaldo was exiled to the Manchester United under 21s after he refused to come on as a substitute during the club’s 2-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur last week.
Ronaldo was dropped from the squad by Ten Hag after he left the game against Spurs early
After refusing to come on, Ronaldo was then seen leaving the game early as he made his way down the tunnel before the full time whistle.
The Portuguese star has been a regular on the bench this season, despite being the club’s top scorer in the last campaign but Ten Hag has tried to play a style in which he thinks Ronaldo does not suit.
The Dutch manager has said that the striker will not be sold while not guaranteeing his spot in his starting eleven.
It is not the first time Ten Hag has head to deal with a situation like this. In 2018, when he was at Ajax, Amin Younes refused to some on as a substitute and he was banished from the team the next day and never played a minute for the club again before going on to join Serie A side Napoli.
When in the squad Ronaldo was mostly used from the bench by manager Ten Hag
Ronaldo did address the incident on Instagram and insisted that he still tries to be respectful, but admitted that he got caught up in the heat of the moment.
He said: ‘As I’ve always done throughout my career, I try to live and play respectfully towards my colleagues, my adversaries and my coaches,” read his statement.
‘That hasn’t changed. I haven’t changed. I’m the same person and the same professional that I’ve been for the last 20 years playing elite football, and respect has always played a very important role in my decision-making process.
‘I started very young, the older and most experienced players examples were always very important to me.
‘Therefore, later on, I’ve always tried to set the example myself for the youngsters that grew in all the teams that I’ve represented.
‘Unfortunately that’s not always possible and sometimes the heat of the moment gets the best of us.
‘Right now, I just feel that I have to keep working hard in Carrington, support my teammates and be ready for everything in any given game.
‘Giving in to the pressure is not an option. It never was. This is Manchester United, and united we must stand. Soon we’ll be together again.’
It remains to be seen whether Ronaldo will be brought back into the fold for Manchester United’s next game, which comes on Thursday evening against Moldovan side Sheriff at Old Trafford in the Europa League.