Liverpool’s new Anfield Road stand will be partially closed for their next THREE games after further delays to £80m stadium renovations

new balance

free keto book

Liverpool’s new Anfield Road stand will be partially closed for their next THREE games after further delays to £80m stadium renovations

  • The upper tier of the Anfield Road stand will be closed for the next three games
  • There is a possibility that Anfield will not be at full capacity for Everton clash 
  • Listen to the latest episode of Mail Sport’s podcast ‘It’s All Kicking Off’ 

Liverpool’s new Anfield Road stand is set to be closed for their next three games, as the club race to finish it’s construction. 

The Reds had initially hoped to complete the redevelopment of Anfield Road, which began in September 2021, in time for their first home match of the 2023-24 season against Bournemouth last weekend, but the project has been plagued by multiple delays.

See also  Bournemouth v Chelsea: Premier League – live | Premier League

Last month, Mail Sport reported that the main constructors behind Liverpool’s renovation, Buckingham Group Contractors, had filed for administration and left the club in the lurch over the completion of their new stand. 

Now, the club have confirmed that a new construction company has been appointed for the matter and that the club want to ‘resume the final works on the project’.

However, following delays to construction, the club have now told fans that Anfield will not be at full capacity for their next three home games.

The upper tier of Liverpool's Anfield Road stand will be closed for the next three games

The upper tier of Liverpool’s Anfield Road stand will be closed for the next three games

The Reds will be hopeful that they are back at full capacity for their October clash with Everton

The Reds will be hopeful that they are back at full capacity for their October clash with Everton

In a statement on their website, Liverpool wrote: ‘For the West Ham United, Leicester City and Union SG fixtures, the capacity of Anfield will be the same as the opening two games of the season against AFC Bournemouth and Aston Villa, meaning the upper tier of the new Anfield Road Stand will remain closed.’

See also  Rodri’s winning return shows he is pivotal to Manchester City’s success | Manchester City

There are concerns that Liverpool will also have to host rivals Everton with a reduced capacity. The Merseyside derby is scheduled for October 21st – two weeks after their clash with Union SG in the Europa League. 

The Reds are working to build a new upper tier on to the Anfield Road stand and increase their stadium’s capacity to 61,000 spectators. 

Liverpool were granted special permission by the Premier League ahead of the start of the season to play their opener away from home in a bid to finish the project.

But in order to comply with Liverpool City Council requirements, more work must be completed, and the club will fall back on a plan where additional capacity is incrementally phased in over future home fixtures. 

In regard to previous construction firm Buckingham Group Contractors filing for administration, Liverpool chief executive officer Billy Hogan said: ‘Timing, obviously, is incredibly fluid right now. There’s a lot of uncertainty around where we are and obviously in time that will become more clear.

‘We’re in a bit of a holding pattern right now. But if Buckingham does enter into administration, we’ll need to address any delays that may arise from completing the new stand as a result of that.

The upper tier of the stand has been closed throughout the opening stages of 2023-24 season

See also  Newcastle v Manchester United: Premier League – live | Premier League

The upper tier of the stand has been closed throughout the opening stages of 2023-24 season

Workers were seen leaving the site after a source said they had been stood down on Thursday

Workers were seen leaving the site after a source said they had been stood down on Thursday

‘Obviously we will of course work with Buckingham and any other contractors who may be appointed in the future to retain as many of the existing jobs and expertise which have been a part of the project all along.’

While insisting that the club are ‘still aiming for October’, the Reds chief admitted the situation was both ‘disappointing’ and ‘frustrating’. 

 ‘Obviously we talked about having the stand fully open in October, clearly we have discussed the uncertainly that this announcement creates,’ he added.

‘We are still aiming for October but what we’re working through now is to put a plan in place. I know this is incredibly disappointing and frustrating.’

IT’S ALL KICKING OFF! 

It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify.

anti radiation

new balance


Source link

crypto quantum