Carabao Cup roundup: Jean-Philippe Mateta hat-trick inspires Palace | Carabao Cup

new balance

Three goals in less than five second-half minutes saved Crystal Palace from an exit after they came from behind to win 4-2 at Plymouth.

Trailing to goals from Ben Waine and Luke Cundle, Roy Hodgson sent on Eberechi Eze, Jordan Ayew and Jeffrey Schlupp. All three substitutes played a part in turning things around. Ayew and Eze provided assists for Odsonne Édouard and Jean-Philippe Mateta, before Schlupp set up the latter for his second. Mateta completed his hat‑trick in the 83rd minute.

Bournemouth beat Swansea 3-2 as Ryan Christie’s added-time goal gave Andoni Iraola his first win as the club’s manager. Matt Grimes gave the Championship side the lead with a ninth-minute penalty but goals from David Brooks and Hamed Traorè turned it around in the second half. Jamie Paterson’s equaliser briefly stunned their top-flight visitors before Christie won it.

See also  ‘The club was finished’: Iron will brings Scunthorpe back from brink | Scunthorpe

The Wolves defender Matt Doherty scored twice in six minutes in their 5-0 win over Blackpool and Luton held on to beat Gillingham 3-2 in their first game at Kenilworth Road this season despite Tom Nichols’ 88th-minute goal.

Sutton recorded their first win in 90 minutes in the competition as Aiden O’Brien’s solitary goal was enough to beat Wycombe, their second successive victory over a League One side.

skip past newsletter promotion

Thomas Frank paid tribute to Brentford’s debutant goalkeeper Ellery Balcombe after his two spot-kick saves ensured the Bees edged past Newport County 3-0 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Rodney Parade. Mathias Jensen thought he had won the tie in the 88th minute but the teenage substitute Kiban Rai headed home deep into stoppage time to take the game to spot-kicks. Adam Lewis then hit a post with Newport’s first effort, before Balcombe saved from Nathan Wood and Bryn Morris, and Keane Lewis-Potter settled the contest in the Premier League side’s favour. “Our debut goalkeeper made fantastic saves in the shootout,” said Frank.

Mansfield beat Sheffield Wednesday 5-4 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough. Rhys Oates scored a fine equaliser with five minutes left after Anthony Musaba headed the Owls in front in the first half. Christy Pym saved from Will Vaulks and Liam Palmer in the shootout as Mansfield progressed.

There was no fairytale for Wrexham this time as they were beaten 4-3 on penalties by Bradford City after a 1-1 draw.

new balance

Source link