Bernardo Silva ‘offered himself to Barcelona chiefs when they were in Manchester to seal Ferran Torres’ January move’ with the midfield star even ‘TEXTING them that he wanted to move to the Nou Camp’
- Bernardo Silva is said to have told Barcelona he wanted to join them in late 2021
- Barcelona officials were visiting England to complete a move for Ferran Torres
- The Catalan giants are said to have initially suspected the playmaker was joking
- Bernardo has reportedly pressed for a move after reiterating his desire by text
Bernardo Silva sent a come-and-get-me text to Barcelona officials after urging them to sign him when they visited England in late 2021, according to a report.
Portugal playmaker Bernardo is said to have taken an opportunity to put Barca on alert while the LaLiga giants were holding successful talks with City over Ferran Torres in late November and December.
Visiting executives thought the 27-year-old was joking until one of them later received a message from him telling them to explore the move, Mundo Deportivo has claimed.
Man City midfielder Bernardo Silva (left) has been repeatedly linked with a move to Barcelona
Bernardo is said to have appealed to Barcelona while they were negotiating over Ferran Torres
The outlet says the player’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has reiterated his client’s intent to Barcelona president Joan Laporta, sports vice president Rafa Yuste and director of football Mateu Alemany in ‘successive’ meetings since January.
The four-time Premier League winner is said to have become a Barca fan when he saw former Portugal midfielder Deco, who was a teammate of current manager Xavi at the Camp Nou, playing for them in 2004.
That sparked an early desire to play for the club which the former Benfica and Monaco midfielder has reportedly retained throughout his career.
Five-time Champions League winners Barca have been persistently linked with Bernardo despite their recent financial troubles.
Bernardo admired Deco (bottom right), a teammate of Barca boss Xavi (bottom, third from left)
The sale of Netherlands international Frenkie de Jong could prove pivotal to their chances of completing a deal. City’s reported asking price of £80million is said to have been designed to dissuade Barca from making a move.
Barcelona have been boosted by a £235m stadium naming rights deal with Spotify and are aiming to close the gap on champions Real Madrid by strengthening their squad ahead of Xavi’s first full season in charge.
The club legend was appointed on November 6 — weeks before Bernardo purportedly made his availability clear.
City manager Pep Guardiola, who has seen Bernardo score 48 times and provide 51 assists since signing for the club in 2017, played down talk of the transfer when he visited Barcelona on Monday to discuss an August friendly between the sides.
Agent Jorge Mendes is said to have reiterated Xavi’s aim in ‘successive meetings’ with Barca
Guardiola said: ‘As of today, in my opinion, I think Bernardo Silva will continue with Man City next season.
‘Our goal, as a club, is for him to stay with us. This is our intention, although I don’t like to keep players at Man City that are unhappy.’
Bernardo signed a three-year contract extension in 2019 to keep him at City until 2025.
City were said to have been confident in February of agreeing a new deal to secure his services until 2026, but that has not materialised and the club’s Goal of the Season winner refused to discuss his future while on international duty earlier this month.